Tuesday, February 5, 2013

PILGRIM ANCESTORS: FRANCES EATON AND CHRISTIANA PENN


PART ONE PILGRIM ANCESTORS 
Frances Easton, Christiana Penn
  MAYFLOWER AND PLYMOUTH COLONY 1620-1633


 1. The Francis Eaton Family          2. The Mayflower and Plymouth Colony                 3. Our home in Plymouth Colony                          4. Historical Notes         5. The Mayflower Compact         6  November 11, 1620         7. Historical Notes: The Mayflower Compact November 11, 1620         8. A copy of a letter from William Hilton to his Family William came to America on the ship Fortune in  S1621.         9. Bibliography for Frances and Christiana Penn

 1. The Francis Eaton Family
   My birth name is Christiana Penn. I am twenty-seven years old and have been married to Francis Eaton for nine years. Francis and I were married in 1624 here in Plymouth Colony. We have three children and Francis has one older son. Rachel is seven years old, Benjamin is five, and our poor little Christopher, who is not right in his head, is three years old. Francis’ son Samuel is twelve years old. Francis and I are both originally from St. Thomas Parish in Bristol, Gloucester County, England.
   My husband Francis Eaton was born in Bristol, on September 11, 1596. He is thirty-seven years old. Francis’ parents are John and Dorothy Eaton. Francis was twenty-four when he, his wife, Sarah, and their baby Samuel arrived in Plymouth Colony on the Mayflower in 1620. Francis had three brothers, John, Samuel and Welthian and a sister, Jane, who all died from a sickness when they were very young. The only brother who Francis remembers is Samuel. I think that is why he named his first son, Samuel.
   I, Christiana Penn, was born in 1606 in Bristol. My parents are George and Elizabeth Penn. Some people spell my name Christian. I arrived here in June 1623 when I was seventeen years old on the Anne. My father George Penn was born in 1571 in Birdham, Sussex County England and died last year, 1632, here in Plymouth Colony. Father’s parents are William and Margaret Penn. My mother, Elizabeth, is also from Birdham. I have one brother, William, who was born April 23, 1621 in Bristol, England. I am eleven years older than he is. In fact my step-son Samuel is older than my brother. William Penn is a good old family name. My great-grandfather William Penn was born in 1525 in Gloucester-shire, England. He must have been an important person because he is buried in the front of St. Leonard’s Church in Minety, his home town. There is even a plaque at the church commemorating his life.

No comments: