Monday, May 26, 2008

All about me Voice of Irma Genevieve Wilson Harry As told in 1982

       During the World War II butter was expensive and hard to find. Margarine, a much cheaper substitute, came on the market about 1940, but it came in a white one pound chunk and looked like lard. Inside the package was a little orange capsule. When you broke up the capsule in a bowl with the margarine, you would blend it and make the margarine yellow.  Later the capsule came in a bag with the margarine and you broke the capsule inside the margarine bag and squeezed and squeezed until the margarine was yellow. Neither method made for a very smooth looking yellow mass. I am glad that the margarine comes already mixed these days.        

         In the recent years I have had quite a few health problems. My hands are pretty crippled with arthritis but I have had knee replacements so I can walk pretty better. I got undulant fever from drinking some raw milk in 1957. I went to Dick and Evelyn’s wedding then to the hospital the next day. I have battled the undulant fever complications the rest of my life. Every joint in my body where the undulant fever hit now has arthritis in it. I don’t let my pain keep me from doing things like volunteering in Dick’s classroom though.




No comments: